Monday, June 11, 2012

Roar!

Clanettes!  Please join me in ROOAARRRING at our amazing-ness.  I am feeling absolutely amazing right now and whilst you sit and read the narrative I am about to gush at you, please take a mo to think of two amazing things that you are really proud of and pleased with.  I can list many more than two, ha ha!
Training is going great right now, but it ought to be with only 12 days until THE triathlon.  I am the lightest weight I have been since forever, I have hit a new pb for cycling and I am fresh off a great 5k run/swim brick session.  I feel like I can accomplish anything right now.

Yesterday, Sun 10th June, I took part in my second Sportif with Paul and my Dad (Hello Daddy!).  Seeing us come in from the 01st April ride, my Dad was inspired to take up cycling again and we agreed that we needed to do an event together.  We just couldn't find the right one on a date we could all make, until this last minute race came up and it was only 5 miles up the road from their house.  Perfect. 

As last week was the long jubilee weekend, Lucy and I had gone out on the Monday (post birthday!) and we did a full distance ride/run brick session and then I swam in the afternoon and whilst I felt good, I was tired.  We went to visit my parents on the Tuesday, because it was half term, and I went for a ride with my Dad on the Wednesday.  Oh my word, it was so hard, it was a great 26 mile route but my legs just had nothing in them and I found it quite a challenge.  My Dad on the other hand was impressive, and I began to wonder what I had taken on in agreeing to a Sportif so close to the Triathlon.  So I did what I do naturally - rest!  Between Wednesday and the ride on Sunday, I only swam (on the Friday) and let myself rest up and take it easy (it was lovely!).

Despite the wet weather warnings, Sunday dawned dry and cool.  We left my parents house at 7.15am, waving goodbye to my Mum (Hello Mummy!) and the kidlets, before cycling the 5 miles to the start/finish line.  The route actual was 34 miles long and we set off at 8.35am.  It was beautiful, a great route that my Dad and I have already talked about doing again.  There were two stinker hills, but I gritted my teeth, got my mental 'kill it' hat on and sat it out.  It was very disheartening to see so many riders get off their bikes half way up the hill, to walk the rest of the way, and for them to be going faster than me, still doggedly sat on my bike pedalling for all I am worth!  Paul and my Dad breezed up the hills and were great for encouraging me up and over the crest.

I knew we were flying down hill and on the flat, but I couldn't believe it when the trusty garmin confirmed we had done 14.5mph average over the entire journey, including the 5 miles back to my parents house.  14.5mph average over a 46.5mile distance absolutely smashs my previous best times and I am absolutely delighted with myself.  I believe I text Lucy and told her to look 'euphoric' up in the dictionary, and there would be a pic of me smiling at her.  Amy is just a great bike, and now her saddle and my botty are friends again, I don't think there is any stopping us!!

So, given that I was already feeling smug and happy and euphoric, I gingerly went to the gym this evening with Lucy, and we stormed it on the treadmill.  We did 5k in 36 minutes (plus a few secs, can't remember precisely, I was too busy celebrating).  I am quite sure its not Lucys best time, she is a running goddess, but its my best time ever ever ever.  After the run, we swam and I right now, just feel great.  Yes, my legs are tired, but I don't feel like I've reached my limit yet.

I could seriously gush and gush on about what we have achieved in the last 6 months, but you read this blog, you know.  In 6 months I have gone from being barely able to wheeze my way through 1 min of running, followed by 2 mins of walking, followed by another wheezing minute of running, to running 5k in a time I know I haven't nailed yet.  I am loving being on a road bike averaging 14.5mph, and I am enjoying swimming.  I have lost over 2st, without hugely mad diet changes, and with only another stone to go, I FEEL AMAZING.  If I can do this, if me, a fat house wife, can contemplate doing this crazy training then anyone can do it.  Seriously, really and truly.  And I tell you what, you won't know yourself, you'll just wake up one day and know you haven't reached your limits yet.  Its glorious.

No comments:

Post a Comment